Conservatives and Republicans have criticized Barack Obama for attending Rev. Wright's church for 20 years while at the same time praising Mitt Romney. I believe I have this right, Mormons view the president of their church as a prophet and the sole spokesperson for God. Brigham Young interpreted the passages in the Book of Mormon to mean that people of African descent are the descendants of Cain and are also under the curse of Ham. Descendants of Cain have the curse of black skin, those who rebelled against God were cursed with black skin, and Ham's descendants have dark skin because they lived in a hot climate. After reading several passages from the Book of Mormon and other LDS books, those don't seem like loose interpretations while the Holy Bible makes no reference to black skin being a curse although people have interpreted Bible passages that way. Since that time, blacks were barred from the priesthood, Endowment, and celestial marriage. People of African descent were also viewed as spiritually inferior; but that the day would come when blacks would enjoy the same privileges. Instead of saying that previous interpretations were erroneous (because that would throw-off the whole belief that LDS leaders are prophets), Kimball said he had received a revelation from God to extend the priesthood to all worthy male members. This was in 1978 and Mitt Romney had to be around 36 at that time. For 18 years of his adulthood he followed a religion with racist policies and I haven't heard him say that past LDS presidents were wrong for their policies when asked, just happy that the day had come when the policy was changed. Is the difference between him and Barack Obama time?
To Adolph, you obviously didn't read or comprehend what I wrote too well. I asked what's the difference between Barack Obama attending Rev. Wright's church and Mitt Romney being Mormon. If conservatives think it's fair to go after Barack Obama for what his church preached, then it would also be fair to go after Mitt Romney for what his church preached for over 100 years. I'm sure white people wouldn't be saying "don't hate them because of their religion" if that person's religion preached that Caucasians are cursed.
When did I say I hate Mitt Romney? Anyway, it doesn't matter if who denied what, conservatives have attacked Rev. Wright's preachings while not mentioning what LDS has preached.
By the way, you can't choose your race; but you can choose your religion. I think Obama and Romney's religious beliefs reflect poorly upon their character because how can you fairly serve all Americans equally when you don't like certain groups of Americans?
Seriously, would you vote for someone who believes your race is cursed and spiritually inferior?
Federic, I asked what's the difference between Romney and Obama based on the churches they attended; I just didn't put all of that in the main question and added details. So Frederic, you would vote for someone who believes that you are cursed and spiritually inferior?
Didn't Martin Luther start his own denomination when he disagreed with the Catholic church?
Your assessment of Christianity and slavery is not completely true. Southerners in several denominations had to form their own factions because of disagreements over the slavery issue. Congregationalists, Mennonites, Quakers, and Methodists were abolitionists. The most major split happened when the Southern Baptist church was formed because the Baptist church wouldn't allow slave owners to become missionaries. The Bible does not say Cain was cursed with black skin while the Book of Mormon and Pearl of Great Price makes several references to to the seed of Cain and descendants of Ham being cursed with black skin. The Book of Mormon also states that when the Lamanites united with the Nephites, their skin became white.
Orignal From: What is the difference between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama?
Post a Comment